- You want to become famous.
- You want to become rich. (Or two variations of it: You want to earn some money or get-rich-quick.)
- You want to impress others.
- You want more likes on social media.
- You want to become a rockstar.
I took a long hard look at myself in the mirror and realized that I’m doing this all wrong. I’m pursuing art for all the wrong reasons.
But, making art is simply an opportunity to be true to yourself. To express your ideas. And, possibly, to change the world.
It doesn’t matter how many likes or shares you get for creating art. It doesn’t matter whether or not people subscribe to your mailing list or buy your products. (That’s what our day jobs are for. Don’t quit your job just yet.)
What matters is that you create the things that you want to. What matters is that you make the things that matter to you.
Be authentic. It doesn’t matter whether people like you or not (as long as you’re still doing what is right). You can’t please everyone. Ignore everybody if necessary.